Director of Scientific Research, hemoCORM Ltd.
Head of Vascular Biology Unit, NPIMR
Honorary Senior Lecturer, UCL
1988-1991 Research Fellowship in Cardiovascular Biology (Ph.D. equivalent), San Raffaele Scientific Institute, University of Milan, Italy.
1986 “Laurea” in Biological Sciences (Biochemistry), University of Milan, Milan, Italy.
1981 "Diploma" in Organic Chemistry, Institute of Organic Chemistry, Treviglio, Italy.
RESEARCH CAREER AND APPOINTMENTS
10/2002-PRESENT Co-founder and Director of Scientific Research, hemoCORM Ltd., Carmelite, 50 Victoria Embankment, London EC4Y 0LS, United Kingdom
09/2002-PRESENT Fellow of the American Heart Association (F.A.H.A.)
06/2001-PRESENT Honorary Senior Lecturer, University College London
05/1995-PRESENT Head of Vascular Biology Group, Northwick Park Institute for Medical Research, Department of Surgical Research, Harrow, United Kingdom.
Research interest: Biochemistry and physiological aspects of the heme oxygenase/carbon monoxide/bilirubin pathway.
11/1992-04/1995 Post-doctoral Fellow at the Department of Bioengineering and Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California.
Research interest: Studies on hemoglobin-based blood substitutes and their interaction with vascular endothelium.
10/1991-10/1992 Post-doctoral Fellow at the Letterman Army Institute of Research, Blood Research Division-Transfusion Branch, San Francisco, California.
Research interest: Studies on hemoglobin-based blood substitutes: biochemistry, physiological aspects and toxicity.
05/1988-10/1991 Research Fellow at the San Raffaele Scientific Institute, University of Milan, Italy. Research interest: Studies on mechanisms underlying myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury.
01/1984-04/1987* Research student at the Department of Organic Chemistry, University of Milan, Italy.
Research interest: Studies on oxidation of anti-tumor agents by manganese porphyrin complexes.
*Career interrupted from May 1987 until April 1988 for military service (which was compulsory in Italy)
· Member of the American Physiological Society (APS) since 1996
· Member of the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB) since 2002
· Member of the International Society for Heart Research (ISHR) since 2002
SUMMARY OF RESEARCH INTERESTS
· Biochemistry and physiological aspects of the heme oxygenase/CO/bilirubin pathway.
· Biochemistry and pharmacological aspects of nitric oxide (NO) and its redox forms.
· Oxygen free radicals formation in biological systems: oxidative vs. nitrosative stress.
· Studies on hemoglobin-based blood substitutes: biochemistry, physiological aspects and toxicity.
· Vascular biology: signal transduction mechanisms, stress response and stress adaptation.